Anglicans worshipped here in 1794, in the earliest days of the Skaneateles community. Beginning in 1805, a two-room building on the site of our present church served as a place for Sunday worship, as well as the Village post office, a store, and a day school.

St. James’ Episcopal Church was first organized in 1816. Our first dedicated church building went up in 1827, built of wood, white with green shutters; its square tower held a clock and a bell. The building was enlarged in 1847, but taken down in 1873 to make way for our present stone building, dedicated in 1874.

In 1899, the sanctuary was enlarged and the present chapel and Sunday school rooms added. In 1959, the parish hall was built. The side altar was placed at the right front of the nave in 1961, and was dedicated as a Peace Altar during the Persian Gulf War. To date, 17 rectors have led the parish.

A presentation from Kihm Winship on the history of St. James'

Posted by St. James' Episcopal Church Skaneateles on Saturday, February 13, 2016